If you’re confused by the title of this blog, worry not! Curly Girl Method for straight hair? Yes, you read that right. If you’re one of our straight-haired sisters (or, brothers) and curious about what the CG journey entails or even if you’d like to try it for yourself, we’re here to break it down for you. What will happen once you take on the set of steps that Curlies use to maintain and amplify their naturally curly or wavy hair? Will it change the texture and appearance of your hair? Can you even experiment with this celebrated method? Read on to find out!
What is the CG method?
The CG method in a nutshell is a journey towards healthier, natural hair by eliminating baddies such as sulphates, silicones, alcohols and other hair damaging ingredients along with heat and styling tools that cause breakage, dryness and damage. A typical CG-hair styling regime would be:
Cleansing – Washing your hair with a sulphate-free shampoo or co-washing with only a conditioner and no harsh shampoo.
Conditioning – Post-poo conditioning with a moisture rich conditioner along the length of your hair to enthuse moisture and keep curls well hydrated and nourished.
Styling – Using nourishing products such as a curl cream (if you have thicker hair and curls) or a lighter mousse and then a light gel to hold the ringlets and form definition. Styled hair can either be air-dried or diffused with cold air or minimal heat.
There are also additional steps such as Pre-poo (Using a light CG friendly oil), Deep-conditioning (Once a week or so) and Masking.
It usually takes a few weeks for hair to get adapted to the new routine but the results are worth the wait.
Can you try the CG method on straight hair?
The answer, though paradoxical is YES! You may experience the below if you make the switch in your haircare routine:
- You may experience a change in hair pattern if you have slightly wavy hair that has been hiding away due to straightening and other artificial treatments. The CG journey brings out your hair’s natural texture and pattern, which can be relieving and enlightening to say the least.
- Healthier hair without any change in appearance and texture. If you have strictly straight hair, no amount of scrunching or finger coiling (common CG styling techniques) will change its appearance. But the elimination of drying alcohols and damaging ingredients such as sulphates will leave your tresses nourished and healthy, inside and out!
- Straight hair tends to get greasier sooner, so ensure that you use lighter products such as nourishing mousses, compared to heavy oils and creams. CG products balance out oily scalp and you will notice that your hair requires lesser wash days than before.
- If you’re familiar with the nomenclature of hair types, you could go from a straight 1A to 1C or even lean towards wavy 2A or 2Bs; if any of these are your natural hair type, that is.
- A renewed appreciation for natural hair! While straight hair is considered easier to maintain, you can tend to go overboard with the heating and styling methods. The elimination of heat treatments and constant treatment, will bring out the natural lustre and persona of your tresses.
The bottom line is that anyone with straight, curly, wavy or anything-in-between hair can try and succeed at the CG method. Keep experimenting with products, techniques and styles until you find what helps you and your tresses shine best! Let us know if you would try the Curly Girl method for straight hair and your results from the same!
Here’s to naturally happy, healthy hair!
Comments are closed.